|Grandmaster Fu Jian Qiu|
Grandmaster Fu Chang Rong, also known as Fu Jian Qiu (his "zi" or "courtesy" name), Fu Xia Nong (his art name), and He Shan (his Taoist name), was born in 1880 in Cao Village, Ninhe, Zhili Province (now known as Tianjin). He was an ardent lover of wushu from childhood. As a child he practiced Shaolin Fist with Grandmaster Shang Hui Chuan. In 1903 Fu met Grandmaster Shen Wan Lin and started to learn Xingyi. He was given his "zi" or courtesy name, Jian Qiu, and used this name from then onwards.
In 1909, Fu was fortunate to become a disciple of both Grandmaster Li Cun Yi and Liu Feng Chun. Both were highly reputable masters. Grandmaster Li was a founder of the Association of Chinese Martial Artists and Grandmaster Liu was the head of the baguazhang section. Fu was a gifted and diligent student and under their guidance achieved the level of Grandmaster. Fu received his Hao (art) name, Xia Nong, from Grandmaster Li.
In 1919, Fu visited Northeast China three times. During his trips he won fights against a Russian Hercules and a Japanese Samurai. Fu's kungfu was admired by General Zhang Zuo Lin who offered Fu the position of Wushu Coach of the Northeast Army and martial arts instructor of Zhang's bodyguards. After an assassination incident on Zhang Zuo Lin, Fu decided to retire from his positions.
In 1922, Fu returned to his hometown and opened Guo Shu Academy. He was also a wushu coach at Ninghe Middle School. In l927, invited by Li Jing Lin, the Associate Director of National Guo Shu Academy, Fu visited Wudang Mountain with his disciple Pei Xi Rong. Fu discussed wushu and Taoism with 15th generation disciple Xu Ben Shan, the head of Quan Zhen Long Men (Dragon Gate sect of the Complete Reality School), and converted to Taoism. Fu was given the Taoist name, He Shan, as a 16th generation disciple of the Dragon Gate sect. "He" is the generation name.
Fu taught Xingyi to Xu, and in return, Xu taught Wudang kungfu to Fu, including Wudang Yuan Gong, Lvzu Chun Yang Sword, and Qian Kun Ball. As a result, Wudang Kungfu spread outside Wudang Mountain, thus making Fu a main contributor to the history of the development of Chinese wushu.
In 1936, Fu went to Suzhou with his son, Fu Shao Xia, and worked as the wushu coach of Xiang Zhi village military troop. He cowrote the Art of Xingyi Ci Spear, the Art of Xingyi Pi dao, and Guo Shu Teaching Manual.Fu became good friends with a Yang Style Tai Chi Master, Niu Chun Ming. They learned kungfu from each other, which later became the foundation for combining the three internal martial arts.